Monday, October 29, 2007

My Cane

When I first came home from the hospital with my CHF in July of 2004, I could not make it across the room without help. Taking a shower wore me out for the rest of the day.

After a few days it became clear that I needed something to help me stand up. To get across the room without help. I used to bench press 360 pounds. Run 6 miles in Georgia heat during the summertime. Play tennis at noon time with a good friend of me.

As a good friend of mine used to say, "Them's the berries." It was time to admit reality, so I bought a cane. My cane has become a good friend. I don't need it everyday anymore, thank you. But on rough days, it helps me deal.

I have
also bought one that collapses that so I can bring it on trips. Very cool. I used to be very ashamed of my cane. I used to hide it and sometimes I still do. But it is what it is.

Deal is what it is all about. I am so proud to be associated with the others on the Heart Failure lists ans Cardiomyopathy lists I am a lucky member of.

If you are dealing with CHF, Cardiomyopathy, or what ever you call it, I encourage you to do whatever you need to do to deal.

My best to you and yours,

David

No comments: