Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hospital Visit

So I got home from a business trip to Germany a couple of weeks ago and I woke up the next day with a fever and flu like symptoms. It was the weekend so I decided to wait it out and on Monday I started to feel better.

On Tuesday I woke up feeling worse, with fever, aches, I could not keep anything down, and also stomach pain. Long story short, I ended up going to the emergency room at 5 AM because the pain was so bad and I was starting to get shortness of breath.

They put me on oxygen and IV’s to replace fluids and did a bunch of tests for the fever, stomach pain, and also my heart. I was too out of it most of the time, but it appears they were very thorough.

Good news is they said it was a virus, with a secondary infection for which they gave me antibiotics. It was a big scare, of course, but some really good news is they did an Echocardiogram on my heart and ran my BNP.

The echo showed my BNP had increased from 208 in August to 256, which is not a big deal, and my EF had improved to 30%. 30% is not great as you know, but I was dropping like a rock for several months there so any improvement is a win from that perspective.

No comments: